"Wherever art goes regeneration follows. Art always gets there first" Tracey Emin

I am an official BT Storyteller for London 2012.

My profile | My content


Pages

Thursday 15 September 2011

National Portrait Gallery - Private Tour Road to 2012

I was delighted to meet the curator Anne Braybon, Commissions Manager for the Road to 2012 project at the National Portrait Gallery. Anne delighted myself and fellow BT Storytellers as she gave us a private tour of the photography exhibition.

Emma Hardy, whom I met at the weekend and Finlay Mackay's work is  hung separately but against the the strong colours of the gallery walls, the vibrancy of which was matched only by Anne's sartorial splendour. Contrasting in both style and technique, Hardy uses available 'ambient' light to capture the serene, relaxed and static poses of the men and women a who have shaped the London 2012 games, whereas Mackay's often artificially lit subjects are dynamic and captured 'in action'. Often larger format photographs, Mackay takes several shots at the location and later seamlessly combines the images into one large photograph. Hardy uses film and no manipulation of the image post processing.

I preferred the more subtle, quiet approach of the latter - more atmospheric but it was great to see the images in contrast with each other. A most enjoyable evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment